This all year warmer (it's too good for just winter) can be made with any fish that we target on any Gold Coast Fishing Charter. Any Mackerel (Spanish, Spotted or School) or Kingfish (Black or Yellow Tail) is recommended, but any legal fish on Avenger Fishing can be substituted.
Click here to return to all Recipes
Black Kingfish / Cobia caught on the Gold Coast... turned into a pie.
Spotted Mackerel pie!
- 400g boneless, skinless white fish fillets. Any white flesh fish caught on Avenger Fishing charters, legal size of course, works for this recipe!
- 450ml milk
- 750g desiree or pontiac potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 100g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons (40g) flour
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemons
- 50g grated cheddar cheese
- Sides: anything you like, please see our sides page here for easy to prepare sides. We mean easy, we try to stick to store bought sides, we're fishermen here at avenger fishing charters, not chefs!
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Place fish in a baking dish, season with salt and pepper and pour over 400ml milk. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes until fish flakes away slightly when pressed with a fork. Remove fish, reserving milk. When cool enough to handle, flake fish into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and keep warm. Melt half the butter in a saucepan, stir in flour and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add reserved milk and continue to cook until thickened. Add fish, peas, parsley, egg, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mash the potato with the remaining 50ml milk and the remaining butter until smooth, then season. Pile the fish mixture into a 1 litre-capacity baking dish, spoon the mash on top and smooth with a spatula. Trace a pattern into the mash with the tines of a fork and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden, and prepare any extra sides you want to serve with your pie.
Gold Coast charter caught Mackerel fish pie straight from the oven
Our 5 hour ocean, reef and game Gold Coast fishing charter fee is $99 per person. Three boarding times are available ~ 6.00, 11.15am or 4.30pm.
Our 10 hour deep sea, reef and game Gold Coast fishing charter fee is $189 per person, however we currently require a minimum of 8 persons to book full day charters. Boarding times are 6am and 12pm.
You can book half day trips individually, pair, group, anything - We can build the party to a comfortable maximum of 12 guests.
Alternatively you can book the whole boat for your group only:
Half day fishing charter Monday to Friday is $1080 for up to 12 guests (This special price is $90 per person if you bring the whole 12!).
Half day fishing charter Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays is $1140 for up to 12 guests.
Full day deep sea fishing charter monday to friday price is $1980, weekends and public holidays $2100. Lunch is not included due to insurance restrictions, dietary requirements, personal tastes etc. Please bring any food or drink you require. Example recommended food to bring is premade and individually wrapped sandwiches or breadrolls and other individually packaged items. Making food on board is difficult, it is recommended that food is premade and easy to handle once on board.
Included in all trips is all the help and advice you want from the skipper and deckhand (just ask!), iced water, soft drinks, tea, coffee, biscuits, sunscreen, bait, tackle and quality Penn and Shimano rods and reels. You can keep, release or share legal fish you catch. If your captures are kept, they are bled, gutted, iced and bagged for your conveinience.
HOW DO I ENQUIRE, BOOK AND PAY?
Text or call 0400775511 (Phone call hours are 9am-5pm, text and email anytime) or email email@example.com. To secure your booking we require your Visa or MasterCard details. We obtain a sufficient funds approval but do not take funds unless you no-show on your booking. Payment by cash, Visa or MasterCard is taken on the boat after boarding.
Our cancellation policy: Every week we receive a large amount of excuses to cancel at short notice, ranging from sickness, emergency, family issue etc. We know things happen, they happen to us too. Please let us know if you need to cancel as early as you can. We often turn away a large amount of people leading up to your booking. If you cancel (or no-show) and we can't refill the spots then we may have to charge you anyway. We don't like to do this, we have to do this to survive as a business. We hope you understand - in the event you cancel, we try to fill your booking, if unsuccessful we will debit your Visa or MasterCard and/or cancel your gift vouchers.